In 1931, the Armenian Evangelical Gertmenian School (AEGS) opened its door with a Kindergarten and three Elementary classes, with the financial contributions of Mr. Costantine Gertmenian and Mr. Sarkis Devirian, of other Hajentzy Armenians living in the United States, and a grant from the League of Nations.
In 1940, the first class of thirteen students graduated.
By that time, student enrollment had outgrown the original building. As the founders of the school deceased, their children decided it would be in the best interest of AEGS to grant ownership of the property and its operation to the Armenian Missionary Association of America. With a contribution from Mr. Stephen Philibosian and his assistance in finding new benefactors, funds were raised for the necessary reconstruction of the Kindergarten and elementary school buildings. Mr. Henry Gertmenian undertook the expense of constructing a new chapel.
The school prospered till 1975, when the Civil War started in Lebanon. In 1978, the school building was severely damaged by shelling and it was occupied by the militia of the area. But again, as soon as a ceasefire was announced, the classrooms were repaired and lessons resumed.
Today Gertmenian School continues to fulfill its mission by educating the young generation of Armenians in Lebanon.